History is a very important subject which helps pupils to understand the complexity of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies and relationships between different groups, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
At St Edmund Arrowsmith our aim is for pupils to gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. We aim to inspire pupils’ curiosity to know more about the past. Pupils are encouraged to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments, and develop perspective and judgement.
Key Stage Three
All pupils at St Edmund Arrowsmith study History in Years 7 and 8. During this time, pupils develop their knowledge and understanding of the past and their writing and source interpretation skills, to ensure they have a strong foundation to continue the study of History at GCSE. At the end of Year 8 students have the option to continue onto the GCSE course in the next academic year.
Pupils in Years 7 and 8 have 3 History lessons a fortnight and homework is set regularly, in line with the school’s homework policy.
Key Stage Four
GCSE History at St Edmund Arrowsmith builds upon the key content and skills developed at Key Stage Three. Pupils who have chosen to take History at GCSE follow the Edexcel History (9-1) Specification. As part of this course, they study the following units:
- Medicine in Britain c.1250-present (including the British Sector of the Western Front 1914-1918: injuries, treatement and the trenches)
- Early Elizabethan England 1558-88
- Superpower relations and the Cold War 1941-91
- The USA 1954-75: Conflict at home and abroad
Pupils in Years 9, 10 and 11 have 5 History lessons a fortnight and homework is set regularly, in line with the school's homework policy.
Please click on the links below to access an overview of the History curriculum at St Edmund Arrowsmith.
- Name Size
- Year 7 curriculum map 2017-18 0.18 MB
- Year 8 curriculum map 2017-18 0.18 MB
- GCSE History Parent's Guide 0.09 MB
In this section
- Archdiocese Report / Information
- Careers Information
- Letters for Parents
- School Trips
- Statutory Information
- Structure of the school day / School Term Dates
- Teaching and Learning at SEA
- Uniform/PE Kit
- Year 10 and 11 Information Evenings
- Year 11 Exam Information & Revision